When the ants have stung their final sting and your feet are covered in bites, you begin to realize that something definitely needs to be done.
Ants aren’t just a minor nuisance like flies or gnats. They can wreak havoc on your family and pets with painful repercussions when too many accumulate. Ant killers are a great way to combat an out-of-control ant problem, and that’s exactly why we’ve made it our mission to bring you the best ant killers available on the market today!
So get your gloves ready. Let’s begin!
In a Hurry? Here’s Our Top Picks…
1. TERRO Liquid Ant Baits
- Attracts & Kills – Kills common household ants including acrobat, crazy, ghost, little black, odorous house, pavement, and other sweet-eating ants
- Kills the Ants You See & the Ones You Don't – As worker ants discover the bait, they share it with the rest of the colony to eliminate them all
- Works Fast – You should see a significant decrease in the number of ants visiting the bait stations within just a few days
- Ready to Use – Place the bait stations, watch it attract ants, and eliminate the entire colony
- Use Throughout Your Home – Place stations near areas where you’ve seen ant activity including along baseboards, in corners, on counters, and more
Last update on 2022-11-21 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Great for indoor and outdoor use, TERRO Liquid Ant Baits are an effective way to rid your home and outdoor structures of ants. These compact baits can be placed virtually anywhere with ease.
Made with borax, water, and sugar, these traps begin to attract hungry ants immediately. The ants travel to the bait, looking for leftover crumbs only to find themselves stuck in the sticky solution that is Terro Liquid Ant Bait. The borax in the bait then kills the ants. Within 48 hours most – if not all – of your ant problems will be solved.
- Made with natural ingredients
- Begin to attract and trap ants immediately
- Extremely affordable, even for those who may be on a tight budget
- Compact for use all around the home and outdoor buildings or seating areas
- Ready-to-use. No need for prepping, measuring or mixing
- Targets and kills common household ants
- Some users have reported that the solution easily spills from the pan – but no worries! It can be easily removed with a hot rag and soap
2. MDXconcepts Organic Home Pest Control Spray
No products found.
If you’re as picky as we are about natural solutions, then you’ll love the MDXconcepts Organic Pest Control Spray. This American-made ant killer kills on contact and is also great for repelling spiders, roaches, and other creepy crawlies “guaranteed”, they say.
It’s made with 100% organic ingredients consisting of Peppermint, Spearmint, and Rosemary essential oils, as well as vinegar. This ant killer is safe for pets and for your family, unlike other ant killers that may contain harmful (and potentially deadly) chemicals.
Some ant killers have awful smells to them. Not MDXconcepts, though. You can refresh your home with minty scents and kill ants all at the same time.
- Smells wonderful, unlike other ant killers
- Affordable, even for those who may be on a budget
- Organic, 100% natural formula
- Safe for pets, children, plants, and wildlife
- Kills ants on contact and repels other insects, including spiders and roaches (and rodents!)
- Highly effective and begins working immediately to repel and eliminate ants
3. Ortho Fire Ant Killer
- Kills the queen and destroys the mound
- No watering-in required
- Treats up to 162 mounds (twin pack 324 mounds total)
- Use Ortho Orthene Fire Ant Killer as part of Ortho 2-Step Fire Ant Method
- Guaranteed to kill or your money back
Last update on 2022-11-21 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
For some, natural solutions just won’t cut it. And sometimes hardcore products are what’s needed to completely obliterate your pest problems – and Ortho is that product.
If Fire Ants are your main issue, the Ortho Fire Ant Killer is the perfect ant killer for you. This powdered ant killer works within minutes to kill a mound of ants, including the queen and contains enough product to treat over 50 individual ant mounds.
Though powerful enough to kill an entire hill of ants within minutes, Ortho Fire Ant Killer won’t hurt your vegetation, making it great for use around your flower beds and anywhere on your grass.
- Won’t burn a hole in your pocket – very affordable
- Great bang for your buck. You get a ton of product capable of killing over 50 ant mounds for only a few dollars
- Hardcore, fast-acting solution to ant problems
- Ready-to-use straight out of the container
- Kills the entire mound and the queen ant
- The ideal solution for tough Fire Ants
- Won’t harm your flowers or grass
- Not a more natural solution like the other ant killers on our list. This may be a con for some consumers
4. EcoRaider Ant Killer
- 【Dual-Function Kills & Repels】：This dual-action plant based formula kills ants on contact and provides lasting prevention. Kills 100% of house ants in 1 minutes and fire ants in 6 minutes. It disrupts ants’ pheromone trails and breaks down their foraging activity, therefore preventing ants from re-grouping and re-entry for 4 weeks or longer. Also kills other crawling insects such as crickets, dermestids, earwigs, fleas, midges, millipedes and spiders. Ready to spray for both indoor/outdoor use.
- 【One Spray & You don’t See Them Again】：Spray on active ants to kill them instantly, spray ants’ entry points (usually around doors, windows or wall crevices) and along their trailing route to repel with the extended residual protection. Spray around trash cans, plumbing, doors and windows for preventative measure. When compared to commonly used bait products you may actually end up more ants, and those products take longer to perform. With this product existing ants get wiped out immediately!
- 【Proven by Published University Studies】：EcoVenger (Formerly EcoRaider) is rated #1 “the most effective among many other natural products”, stated in a leading university study published by the Journal of Economic Entomology. More studies have demonstrated that its efficacy is comparable to or higher than most popular chemical pesticides (Deltamethrin, Cyfluthrin and Chlorfenapyr). When comes to pesticide-resistant super bugs, it outperforms chemical pesticides by several folds!
- 【Natural & Non-Toxic but Highly Efficacious】：Contains no pesticides or toxins. Its active ingredients are our proprietary combination of botanical insecticidal compounds that are organically extracted from aromatic plants. This compounds combination is lethal to insects by blocking their neuron transmitter but do not affect humans, animals, fish or birds.
- 【Your Safety is Our Priority】：EcoVenger goes through strict examination by an EPA authorized lab to ensure the whole formula imposes no toxicity in dermal sensitization, oral intake, skin irritation, eye irritation or inhalation. Therefore the product can be safely used around children and the elderly. It is also pet, bird and fish friendly so you can use it almost anywhere with peace of mind. No need to vacate before spraying. No staining on most surfaces. Pleasant scent that dissipates fast!
Last update on 2022-11-21 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
For both indoor and outdoor use, the EcoRaider Ant Killer is the go-to product. It’s a non-toxic, plant-based solution safe for use around children and pets when used as directed.
The EcoRaider Ant Killer kills ants on contact and provides up to 4 weeks of prevention without reapplication. It comes with an attached remote trigger sprayer for accurate spraying in and around the home and won’t stain your furniture, walls, or flooring.
And, unlike conventional ant killers, there is no unpleasant chemically smell; only a quickly dissipating citrus scent.
- No chemically smells
- Safe for use around your family and pets
- Kills ants on contact and prevents ants from returning (without reapplication) for up to 4 weeks
- Easy-to-use trigger sprayer for better accuracy
5. Diatomaceous Insect Killer
- Say Goodbye to Bugs – Kills a variety crawling insects including roaches, ants, fleas, silverfish, earwigs, bedbugs, and more
- Attracts and Kills – Made from diatomaceous earth and selected baits, this powder causes insects to dehydrate and die within 48 hours after contact
- Mechanical Killer – Unlike many traditional chemical insecticides, insects cannot build an immunity to diatomaceous earth
- Use Where Insects Hide – DE can be used indoors or outdoors. Apply in cracks and crevices, along baseboards, or create a barrier around entry points
- Peace of Mind – This powder is OMRI Listed and compliant for use in organic gardening so you can use it without worry
Last update on 2022-11-20 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
And last, but not least, our final natural solution to all your ant problems: the Safer Brand’s Diatomaceous Insect Killer.
This 4-pound resealable bag of earth-based ant killer is powerful enough to kill off ants inside and outside of your home within 48 short hours. This powdered ant killer works from the inside out, dehydrating the ant until dead after consumption.
This Safer Brand product is also registered with the EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) to ensure that it won’t harm us humans or the environment.
- Will not cause adverse effects in people or the environment
- 4 pounds of product in a resealable bag
- Kills ants by touch and consumption
- Registered with the EPA
- A natural solution to pesky ants
- Will not be effective when wet. Be sure that this ant killer is applied to dry ant mounds
Keeping Ants Under Control
Besides using pesticides and ant baits, there are other small ways in which you can keep creepy crawlies out of your home and yard. Tidiness in the home and garden play a vital role in ant control.
Let’s go over a few tips!
- Keep food scraps off of your kitchen floor and patios. Worker ants (or the ants that bring food back to the colony) are attracted to leftover food sources. Cleaning your kitchen floor and vacuuming weekly can help to pick up any crumbs that you may have missed during dinner. Be sure to also sweep your patios, decks, and porches for food crumbs to keep ants from wandering near your outdoor lounge area.
- Avoid leaving water out. Like every living creature, ants need water and food. Outdoor water dishes for pets or any other standing water source can attract ants, especially during the hotter months when the water supply is shortened.
- Use sealants. Ants are tiny bugs that can get in through practically any opening. It’s a good idea to seal in cracks around windows, doors, sinks, bathtubs, and anywhere else you think ants may enter through.
- Stack some firewood far away from the house. Ants love firewood. Firewood makes a great hiding place for ants. Stacking firewood on the edge of your property is a wonderful way to deter them from your home and outdoor seating or play areas.
- Trim back vegetation that is near your home or structures. Ants make their way into homes and buildings largely by crawling on bushes or trees onto roofs or window sills. Avoid these unwelcome guests by trimming away branches.
- Correct moisture problems in the home. As we mentioned previously, ants are attracted to water and moisture. Be sure to check under your sinks and in the bathrooms for moisture buildup, as well as pipes for leaks.
Identifying Your Ants
If you’re not too sure which type of ants you’re dealing with, you’re in luck. Because in this section, we’ll be going over some of the most common home and yard ants.
If you’re a southerner, you’re probably all too familiar with Fire Ants. Fire Ants love hot weather and generally are out and about when it’s the mid-70s to 95 degrees.
They’re incredibly aggressive ants whos stings burn like… well… fire. Fire Ants are bright to deep red in color and about 1/4 of an inch in length. They like to make dirt mounds in very sunny, flat, open areas such as playgrounds or near sidewalks. So don’t expect to find these guys in shady or damp places.
Fire Ants are omnivorous and will eat anything they can get their sticky little fingers on, including sugary foods, meats, and even vegetables.
For more on Fire Ants, click here.
Apparent by their name, Carpenter Ants tunnel through wooden beams to make their nests. They can wreak havoc on homes with exposed wood and house approximately 50,000 of their ant pals in your walls (per colony).
They’re usually dark red or black in color and around half of an inch long. They can be found in dead trees and damaged wooden structures.
For more on Carpenter Ants, click here.
About 1/8 of an inch long, Crazy Ants are most commonly identified by their “crazy” or erratic movements. They can be yellowish, black, or raspberry in color and most often have long legs that are disproportionate to their tiny bodies.
These ants tend to wreak havoc on electrical wires and like to nest in moist areas. Crazy Ants will feast on practically anything, including sweets, so don’t be surprised if you find these in your kitchen. They also like meats and other insects as snacks.
For more on Crazy Ants, click here.
Odorous House Ants
These ants are most commonly found in kitchens on countertops or near sugary foods. They’re usually black or dark brown in color and give off an unappetizing smell when crushed. Odorous House Ants are very tiny and fast, often moving swiftly along kitchen floors after heavy rains.
They’re only about 1/8 of an inch long and usually travel in large lines of their ant family.
For more on Odorous House Ants, click here.
If you’d like more information regarding identifying ants, take a look at this informative Ant Identification Guide.
Handling and General Safety
Very briefly, let’s go over some ways to handle ant killers safe and soundly.
- Always wear protective gloves when handling ant killers
- When using liquid or powder ant killers, wear a protective nose and mouth mask
- Wear close-toed shoes to avoid getting any product on your bare skin
- Wear a long-sleeved shirt and long pants to avoid getting any ant killer on your legs or arms
- Never directly inhale the fumes from ant killers and be sure, if using indoors, that the room is well ventilated
- Keep pets and small children away from ant killers. If ingested, immediately call poison control and make your way to the nearest hospital or vet
- Read the instructions carefully and always use ant killers as directed
- Do not put ant killers near food in the kitchen
- Wash your hands thoroughly with soap and warm water after handling the ant killer
Best Ant Killer Brands
Now that we’ve taken a look at our favorite ant killers and a few tips on how to keep ants under control, let’s take a look at a few of the brands behind the products:
- TERRO: TERRO is one of the most popular names is ant control. Their motto is “It works!” because that’s what everybody’s been saying since it was first introduced to the public in 1915. Today, they offer a variety of pest control solutions to keep your home and yard happy and healthy.
- MDX Concepts: Since losing 10 acres of farmland to synthetic chemical pesticides in January of 2018, Michael and Lonja Drummer searched for an organic solution to pest (including ants) control. And thus, MDXConcepts was born.
- ORTHO: ORTHO is one of the most trusted brands in yard care. They specialize in pest control and weed control, creating fast-acting and effective products.
- EcoRaider: Another non-toxic, natural pesticide brand, EcoRaider works tirelessly to bring you the best all-natural, safe solutions to all of your pest problems.
- Safer: With over 30 years of experience, the Safer Brand has dedicated itself to bringing consumers products that won’t harm people or pets. Their products have even been approved for use by certified organic farms!
Q: Will ant killers work on all ants or just specific ones?
A: Generally, ant killers will work for any of your average yard or home ants. Some ant killers may specify, but you can more than likely use those for any type of ant also.
Q: Can ants learn to avoid ant killers and baits?
A: No. Ant killers are mostly applied directly to the ant mounds so the ants come in direct contact with the poison, and baits will not lose their attractiveness to ants.
If you notice that ants are beginning to avoid your ant bait, it’s most likely because the pheromone trail of other ants has worn away, thus keeping new ants from traveling near the bait. Try moving the bait to a different location.
Q: I have ants in the bedrooms. Should I place ant bait in the rooms or elsewhere?
A: You can place ant baits in bedrooms. Terro Liquid Ant Bait is made with sugar, water, and borax, making it safe to have around your family and in your home (when used as directed). However, we do recommend that you keep any ant killer product out of a child’s or curious pet’s reach.
Q: How long does ant killer take to work?
A: Depending on what type of ant killer you purchase, they usually take around 48 hours to kill ants.
Q: Will ant baits and killers damage my wooden floors or carpet when used indoors?
A: Indoor ant killers will usually have cleaning instructions in the event of spills or temporary staining. Most of the time, indoor ant killers will not damage any type of flooring.
Q: Will ant killer hurt my grass?
A: All of the ant killers on our list most likely won’t harm your grass when used as directed. However, keep in mind that ant killers are meant to be placed directly on mounds or placed near ant trails. We recommend that you avoid placing any ant killer in unnecessary outdoor areas to keep from potentially killing the grass or other vegetation.
Q: Do liquid ant killers dry clear?
A: Yes. You can expect any liquid ant killer you purchase to dry clear. However, if used indoors, particularly on the carpet, liquid ant killers can attract dust and dirt. This may result in a slight color.
Q: Can ant killers be used in cars?
A: They can be. Natural liquid spray ant killers would be your best (and safer) bet. We recommend letting the solution gas off for a few days after application before you drive the car anywhere.
After All is Said and Done
When ants find their way into your home and yard, it’s ant killers to the rescue. Ant killers are the best way to eliminate your biting, stinging pest problem for only a couple of bucks and a few minutes out of your day.
When it comes down to it, the perfect solution for ant extermination is in the eye of the beholder – but our favorite ant killer is the MDXConcepts Pest Control Spray. It’s organic, it’s safe, and it’s a potent ant killer. What more could you really ask for?
We hope you enjoyed our article covering the best ant killers!